Our YMCA Healthy Communities Day is one of the easiest ways to show you how we focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
On July 12, we joined forces with our community health partner, WakeMed, to provide free medical screenings to children who need them most. In fact, this is the fourth year we've hosted the event.
We couldn't offer this gathering without the help of Saint Augustine’s University, the permanent home of our largest outreach camp, the Alexander Family YMCA’s Camp High Hopes.
Here's a look at the numbers.
- More than 850 children in YMCA Camp High Hopes, the YMCA’s subsidized summer day camps, received free health screenings
- Participating branches included the A. E. Finley YMCA, Alexander Family YMCA, Cary Family YMCA, Durham YMCAs, Kerr Family YMCA and Kraft Family YMCA.
- Health screenings included blood pressure and scoliosis checks by WakeMed, vision checks by Eye Care Associates and dental checkups by Wake County Healthy Smiles.
- Educational exhibits provided by the Raleigh Police Department, 4-H, Interfaith Food Shuttle, Safe Kids and the Poe Center.
- The YMCA of the Triangle’s annual We Build People campaign allows more than 1,100 children to participate in YMCA Summer Day Camps, Y Learning and other Y programs regardless of their ability to pay.
The numbers are impressive. But, the results of Healthy Communities Day are simply amazing.