Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Real World: Missing the Y

Each day at our YMCA, thousands of children learn new skills, make new friends and follow the lead of their counselors.
Terry Lewis just graduated from North Carolina State University. For the past two years, Terry served as an after school counselor at the Alexander Family YMCA. After graduation, Terry got what he calls a "real job." Terry still considers the Y his second home. That's why we let him blog!
It doesn’t seem like it’s been a month since I stopped working for the Y. My days used to consist of going to the gym with my co-counselors and playing with my kids in my after school program. Since I graduated from college, I spend my days working in an office.

This is not how Terry dresses at the new job

Don’t get me wrong. I love my new job, but looking back I really miss my time at the Y. I miss the staff, the kids, the pranks, and, most of all, I miss the positive environment of the YMCA.


A few days ago, I decided to drive over to the
Alexander Family Y to see how training was going for the upcoming summer camp session. I saw a lot of familiar faces and a lot of new ones.


Everyone was excited to see me again. I got introduced to many young, eager counselors. It's great to know I still have a home there.

I miss that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment